Re: md5 of table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sim Zacks
Subject Re: md5 of table
Date
List pgsql-general
> OP:
>> I thought about using dblink and the EXCEPT query, but then I need to know the field list of each query result,
whichis a pain in the butt.
> That is not correct.  As long as the table definitions are precisely
> the same, you can move records across dblink without specifying
> fields.  You do this by using record type for the composite which
> dblink sends across as text.
>
> merlin

Do you have a quick example? This is what I have tried:

select * from tbla
except
select * from dblink('host=dbhost dbname=otherdb user=myuser
password=mypwd'::text, 'select * from tbla')

The error I get back is:
ERROR:  a column definition list is required for functions returning
"record"

Sim