Re: Read MS-SQL data into Postgres via ODBC link? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: Read MS-SQL data into Postgres via ODBC link?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Jonathan,

I haven't done this from MySQL, but have from Postgres & from Oracle

From a command line client, extract the data from the source table, so you get a stream of csv style records.
Then pipe these directly into a psql statement to load them into the target table.

A simple pg2pg example:

psql -d $DB1 -F '|' -Atc "select * from table;" | psql -d $DB2 -c "copy table from STDIN with delimiter '|' with null '';"

A MySQL example would be similar, the second part pretty much identical.

HTH,

  Brent Wood

Brent Wood
DBA/GIS consultant
NIWA, Wellington
New Zealand

>>> "Jonathan Brinkman" <JB@BlackSkyTech.com> 07/05/11 12:45 PM >>>
Greetings

I'd like to INSERT data into my Postgresql 8.4.8 table directly from an
ODBC-linked MS-SQL table or view.

I'm looking at using the Cybertec tool "ODBC-LINK"
(http://www.cybertec.at/en/postgresql_products/odbc-link) but I'm wondering
if there isn't a way to do this through Postgresql directly?

I saw a post about someone doing a "SELECT * FROM XXX ODBC SOURCE" or
something like that
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2009-07/msg00032.php) and that
would be cool. I don't need to import massive datasets, only 20-30K records
at a time.

Thanks much

Jonathan