Re: Speeding up loops in pl/pgsql function - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Reuven M. Lerner
Subject Re: Speeding up loops in pl/pgsql function
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, everyone.

First of all, thanks for all of your help several days ago.  The
improvements to our program were rather dramatic (in a positive sense).

Based on the help that everyone gave, I'm working on something similar,
trying to use regexp_replace to transform a string into the result of
invoking a function on each character.  For example, I'd like to do the
following:

regexp_replace('abc', '(.)', ascii(E'\\1')::text, 'g');

Unfortunately, the above invokes ascii() on the literal string E'\\1',
rather than on the value of the backreference, which isn't nearly as
useful.  I'd like to get '979899' back as a string.  And of course, once
I can get back the value of ascii(), I figure that it should work for
any function that I define.

Thanks again for any suggestions everyone might have.

(And if this should go to pgsql-general, then I'll understand.  If it
helps, my alternative to regexp_replace is a super-slow function, akin
to the one that I showed here last week.)

Reuven