Re: Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Dne 27.4.2011 20:56, Kevin Grittner napsal(a):
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> The reason no work can be done in this area is because there are
>> no standardized benchmarks of query execution in PostgreSQL being
>> run regularly right now.  Bringing up ideas for changing the
>> computation is easy; proving that such a change is positive on
>> enough workloads to be worth considering is the hard part.  There
>> is no useful discussion to be made on the hackers list that
>> doesn't start with "here's the mix the benchmarks I intend to test
>> this new model against".
>
> This is looming as an ever-more-acute need for the project, in
> several areas.

Hmmm, just wondering - what would be needed to build such 'workload
library'? Building it from scratch is not feasible IMHO, but I guess
people could provide their own scripts (as simple as 'set up a a bunch
of tables, fill it with data, run some queries') and there's a pile of
such examples in the pgsql-performance list.

regards
Tomas