Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From F. BROUARD / SQLpro
Subject Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I think that a NUMA architecture machine can solve the problem....

A +
Le 11/04/2011 15:04, Glyn Astill a écrit :

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm just doing some tests on a new server running one of our heavy select functions (the select part of a plpgsql
functionto allocate seats) concurrently.  We do use connection pooling and split out some selects to slony slaves, but
thetests here are primeraly to test what an individual server is capable of.

> The new server uses 4 x 8 core Xeon X7550 CPUs at 2Ghz, our current servers are 2 x 4 core Xeon E5320 CPUs at 2Ghz.
>
> What I'm seeing is when the number of clients is greater than the number of cores, the new servers perform better on
fewercores.

> Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  I'm guessing this is either a hardware limitation or something to do with linux
processmanagement / scheduling? Any idea what to look into?

> My benchmark utility is just using a little .net/npgsql app that runs increacing numbers of clients concurrently,
eachclient runs a specified number of iterations of any sql I specify.

--
Frédéric BROUARD - expert SGBDR et SQL - MVP SQL Server - 06 11 86 40 66
Le site sur le langage SQL et les SGBDR  :  http://sqlpro.developpez.com