Re: Really really slow select count(*) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Really really slow select count(*)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> Kevin and I both suggested a "fast plus timeout then immediate"
>> behavior is what many users seem to want.

> Are there any settings in postgresql.conf that would make it
> unsafe to use -m immediate?

I don't think so.  There could definitely be problems if someone
cuts power before your shutdown completes, though.  (I hear that
those firefighters like to cut power to a building before they grab
those big brass nozzles to spray a stream of water into a building.
Go figure...)

-Kevin