Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream
Date
List pgsql-performance
> If Oracle can patch their query planner for you in 24 hours, and you
> can apply patch with confidence against your test then production
> servers in an hour or so, great.  Til then I'll stick to a database
> that has the absolutely, without a doubt, best coder support of any
> project I've ever used.
>
> My point in the other thread is that if you can identify a point where
> a hint would help, like my situation above, you're often better off
> presenting a test case here and getting a patch to make it smarter.

By way of contrast - I had a similar situation with DB2 (a few years
ago) with a bad plan being chosen for BETWEEN predicates in some cases.
I found myself having to spend about a hour or two a week chasing the
support organization for - wait for it - 6 months to get a planner patch!