Re: Select * is very slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Select * is very slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
"shaiju.ck" <shaiju.ck@gmail.com> wrote:

> The table have 200 records now.
> Select * from employee takes 15 seconds to fetch the data!!!
> Which seems to be very slow.
> But when I say select id,name from empoyee it executes in 30ms.
> Same pefromance if I say select count(*) from emloyee.

You haven't given nearly enough information for anyone to diagnose
the issues with any certainty.  Earlier responses have asked for
some particularly important information, and I would add a request
to see the output from `VACUUM VERBOSE employee;`.  Beyond that, you
might want to review this page for checks you can make yourself, and
information which you could provide to allow people to give more
informed advice:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin