Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Patrick Donlin <pdonlin@oaisd.org> wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas on where I should start looking to figure
> this out?

You're going to want to run EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the slow query on
both servers.  If you want the rest of us to be able to contribute
ideas, we'll need a little more information -- please read this
page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

> I didn't perform any special steps when moving to v8.4, I just did
> a pg_dump from the 8.3 server and restored it on the new 8.4
> servers.

A database VACUUM ANALYZE by a superuser is a good idea; otherwise
that's fine technique.

-Kevin