Re: How to fast the REINDEX - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Date
List pgsql-performance
raghavendra t <raagavendra.rao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a table with 40GB size, it has few indexes on it.

What does the table look like?  What indexes are there?

> When i try to REINDEX on the table,

Why are you doing that?

> its take a long time.

How long?

> I tried increasing the maintenance_work_mem, but still i havnt
> find a satisfying result.

What run time are you expecting?

> Questions
> =======
> 1. What are the parameters will effect, when issuing the REINDEX
>    command
> 2. Best possible way to increase the spead of the REINDEX

It's hard to answer that without more information, like PostgreSQL
version and configuration, for starters.  See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

My best guess is that you can make them instantaneous by not running
them.  A good VACUUM policy should make such runs unnecessary in
most cases -- at least on recent PostgreSQL versions.

-Kevin