Re: Adaptec Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection - Anyone using? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Schnabel
Subject Re: Adaptec Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection - Anyone using?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Glyn Astill wrote:
> Hi Chaps,
>
> I'm putting together some new servers, and whilst I've been happy with our current config of Adaptec 5805's with bbu
I'venoticed these 5805Z cards, apparently the contents of DRAM is copied into onboard flash upon power failure.

> Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this sort of technology yet?
>
> So far my head is telling me to just go with what I know...
>

> Glyn
I just put a 5445Z in my new server but considering I just got it turned
on about 2 hours ago I really can't say much about it.  I have several
Adaptec cards with BBU and the Adaptec people talked me into trying the
new Z version.  It's a bit more expensive on the front end but
supposedly you don't have to replace batteries.  If you do go with the
new Z version the first thing you'll have to figure out is where to put
it.  I was wondering what the zip ties were for when I opened the
package then realized it's to secure the unit to wherever you want in
the chassis.  Kinda handy in a way but can also be a pain.