Re: Postgresql optimisation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Denis BUCHER
Subject Re: Postgresql optimisation
Date
List pgsql-performance
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz a écrit :

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Denis BUCHER <dbucherml@hsolutions.ch
> <mailto:dbucherml@hsolutions.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I need to optimize a database used by approx 10 people, I don't need to
>     have the perfect config, simply to avoid stupid bottle necks and follow
>     the best practices...
>
>     The database is used from a web interface the whole work day with
>     "normal" requests (nothing very special).
>
>     And each morning huge tables are DELETED and all data is INSERTed new
>     from a script. (Well, "huge" is very relative, it's only 400'000
>     records)
>
> use truncate, to clear the tables.

Oh yes, instead of DELETE FROM table; ? Ok thanks for the tip

>     For now, we only planned a VACUUM ANALYSE eacha night.
>
> if it is 8.3+, don't , as autovacuum takes care of that.

8.1.17

>     But the database complained about checkpoint_segments (currently = 3)
>
> depending on traffic, that's pretty low. You should increment it, beyond
> 12 if possible.

Ok no problem in increasing this value, to, let's say... 50 ?

>     What should be changed first to improve speed ?
>     * memory ?
>      *???
>     Thanks a lot for any advice (I know there are plenty of archived
>     discussions on this subject but it's always difficult to know what very
>     important, and what's general as opposed to specific solutions)
>

> again, if it is 8.3+ (and everyone here would advice you to run at least
> that version), try using pg_tune script to get best performance settings.

Ok, we will soon move it to a new server, it will be 8.3 then :-)
And I will use pg_tune...

Thanks a lot for your advices !

Denis