Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jean-David Beyer
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
Re: Best suiting OS  (Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-performance
S Arvind wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>       What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres
> alone. The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+.
> Performance on speed is the vital factor.
> Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??
>
> -Arvind S

I do not know the others, and doubt it makes much difference.

My feelings are that if you are running a server, you want a stable one, not
one that is continuously updated for latest and greatest features. Hence I
would rule out Fedora and its ilk.

If you run Redhat, I would advise the most recent; i.e., Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5, since they do not add any new features and only correct errors.
CentOS is the same as Red Hat, but you probably get better support from Red
Hat if you need it -- though you pay for it.

  ^^-^^ 05:55:01 up 14:54, 4 users, load average: 5.40, 5.25, 5.04