Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joseph S
Subject Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I've already learned my lesson and will never use raid 5 again.  The
question is what I do with my 14 drives. Should I use only 1 pair for
indexes or should I use 4 drives?  The wal logs are already slated for
an SSD.

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Greg Stark<gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Luke Koops<luke.koops@entrust.com> wrote:
>>> Joseph S Wrote
>>> RAID-5 can be much faster than RAID-10 for random reads and writes.  It is much slower than RAID-10 for sequential
writes,but about the same for sequential reads.  For typical access patterns, I would put the data and indexes on
RAID-5unless you expect there to be lots of sequential scans.