Re: White paper on very big databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Hans-Juergen Schoenig
Subject Re: White paper on very big databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well therein lies the problem. CMD has a customer with a
>     multi-terrabyte
>     table (not including the rest of the database) but we can't really
>     talk
>     about it :(
>

> IIRC, EnterpriseDB had one customer with over 1TB of data, but they
> too would have been hush-hush about it.  When I was consulting, I saw
> very few Postgres databases at or over 1TB.  While Postgres can handle
> fairly large data sets, it lacks some fairly important VLDB features
> which is probably why there are so few people with multi-terabyte PG
> databases.  Perhaps JD/Fetter know of more, but I can count the ones I
> know of at < 10.
>
> --
> Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
> myYearbook.com

hello everybody,

i know GIS databases which are ways bigger than 1 TB.
the biggest one i have seen personally recently was around 8 TB.
i had my hands on a 12 TB biest 3 years ago.

for the database size is not the real problem; the problem is rather
getting stuff in.
for most people the question is: is there anything we could still store
which would finally end up being 12 TB or more :). 80% of all people
will never get there even if they store every little movement everywhere :).

    hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Professional PostgreSQL Consulting, Support, Training