Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 6-2-2009 16:27 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The experiences I have heard is that Dell looks at server hardware in
> the same way they look at their consumer gear, "If I put in a cheaper
> part, how much will it cost Dell to warranty replace it".  Sorry, but I
> don't look at my performance or downtime in the same way Dell does.  ;-)

I'm pretty sure all major server-suppliers will have some form of
risk-analysis for their servers, especially in the high volume x86
market where most servers are replaced in three years time anyway.
And although Dell's image for quality hardware isn't too good, the
servers we have from them all reached high uptimes before we did
hardware unrelated reboots.
Our Dell-desktops/workstations have seen a bit more support-technician's
though, so we're not becoming fanboys any time soon ;-) They seem to be
much more serious on quality for their servers compared to the other stuff.

Best regards,

Arjen