Re: Polymorphic "setof record" function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Schröder
Subject Re: Polymorphic "setof record" function?
Date
List pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 1/13/09, Christian Schröder <cs@deriva.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>  I have written a function that returns a setof record. The function has a
>> table name as a parameter and the resulting records have the same structure
>> as this table. Is there any easy way to specify this when I call the
>> function? If the table has many columns then it's annoying to specify all of
>> them.
>>  I need something like:
>>    select * from myfunc('mytable') as x(like mytable)
>>  or
>>    select * from myfunc('mytable') as x(mytable%TYPE)
>>
>>  Is there any solution for PostgreSQL 8.2?
>>

> Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge there is no way to do this.
>  I think what you want is to have sql functions that specialize on
> type in the way that templates do in C++.

That would certainly be the best solution, but I would also be happy
with some syntactic sugar: The function may still be declared as
returning a set of records, so that I would still have to declare their
actual return type in the query. However, I would like to have an easy
way to express: "the record will have the same structure as table x".

Regards,
    Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer