Re: cant get an index scan with a LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: cant get an index scan with a LIKE
Date
List pgsql-performance
>>> "Greg Caulton" <caultonpos@gmail.com> wrote:

> but I get a sequential scan when I do where term_index like
>
> select * from sct_descriptions where term_index like 'CHILLS AND
FEVER
> (FINDING)'

> Is there anything else I can do?  Settings below, this is PostgreSQL
8.3

> "lc_collate";"English_United States.1252"
> "lc_ctype";"English_United States.1252"
> "lc_messages";"English_United States"
> "lc_monetary";"English_United States"
> "lc_numeric";"English_United States"
> "lc_time";"English_United States"

This issue is discussed here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/locale.html

with a solution to your specific problem mentioned here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/indexes-opclass.html

You can create an index with the appropriate operator type to get LIKE
to work as you want.  I hope this helps.

-Kevin