Re: Problem while inserting a varchar - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Christian Stalp
Subject Re: Problem while inserting a varchar
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello, thank you Tom Lane, thank you Michael Glaesemann,

Tom Lane wrote:

> 1. Explicitly say you want the default for the first column:
>
> INSERT INTO RETRY VALUES ( DEFAULT, '0:40:f4:d3:0:0', ... );

That seems to work. I allready omited rid, I think this was the problem.

Now I write (trough my program): INSERT INTO RETRY VALUES ( DEFAULT,
'0:40:f4:d3:0:0','0:40:f4:d3:0:0',1, 2008-02-17,20:34:00 );

But now I get an syntax-error at character 87 »:«. I think that has
nothing to do with my first problem.
The datatype here is time. Does the ":" has a special meaning here?
> 2. Use a column name list, and omit "rid" from it:
>
> INSERT INTO RETRY (source_macaddress, destination_macaddress, ...)
>   VALUES ( '0:40:f4:d3:0:0', ... );
>
> 3. Put the serial column last, so that you can just omit it without
> saying anything.  (This last is not strictly according to the letter of
> the SQL spec, I think, but PG allows it and so do some other databases.)
>
> BTW, why don't you use the "macaddr" data type for those MAC address
> columns?  Then you'd get some error checking ...

Really? I did not find anything in the documentation about it. That
would be very appropriate.

Gruss Christian