Re: Better space efficiency on home page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: Better space efficiency on home page
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi,

Simon Riggs wrote:
> The shaded part that contains the Elephant picture is still too big and
> the information it contains doesn't really warrant that much. The first
> thing I see when I look at the home page is a huge hole with no useful
> content at all.

IMO that entry page already contains enough information. Let's dare to
leave some free space, so the elephant can breath - and visitors aren't
overwhelmed by the amount of information presented.

> Put "Support Us" into a box that uses about 25% of the width of Featured
> User, but on the right-hand-side, so they are horizontally adjacent.
> Support Us gets a box around it, attracting more attention.

Yeah, that edge there is somewhat misaligned. Especially the line on the
left of the 'planet postgresql' box looks silly.

I can imagine giving the 'support us' box more space. OTOH, I personally
find the 'featured user' box more appealing.

> We then should allow more history on News and Planet PostgreSQL, so they
> both go to the bottom of the available space.

Again, I don't think that's very useful. Interested visitors will follow
the links anyway. Remember the very short time an avg. visitor spends on
a single site.

Regards

Markus