Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joachim Wieland wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:22:17AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
>
>> The code seems to assume that all custom variables are strings. There are
>> about half a dozen Assert(variable->vartype == PGC_STRING) throughout the
>> patch. That's not true, plperl's use_strict is a boolean and we have
>> DefineCustome*Variable functions for each type of variable. Perl bombs
>> because plperl.use_strict is a boolean.
>>

> The attached patch removes those Asserts.
>
> But this is not the whole story. I wonder why setting "plperl.use_strict"
> is supposed to work at all? Where is the corresponding definition of
> "plperl" as a custom variable class? I can add it manually to
> postgresql.conf and make the regression tests work but is this the intended
> way?

The whole custom variable gadget is a mess, IMNSHO, and almost
completely undocumented. If anyone comes up with a sane, workable and
documented design I'll be happy.

As I understand the way custom variable class works (or is supposed to
work), you need it if the variable is set in advance of the call to
define it (e.g. in postgresql.conf) but not if you set if after.

cheers

andrew