Re: European Group - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Susanne Ebrecht
Subject Re: European Group
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:27:47 +0100
> "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>    Following the chat we had on IRC a few days ago, I am writing
>> informally to inquire about the constitution of an European Group of
>> PostgreSQL users, a network of national PostgreSQL User Groups spread
>> all over Europe.
>>

> sounds very good for me.
>

>>    One of the main reasons for this is not only to foster the adoption
>> of free software and - in the specific case - PostgreSQL in the
>> European Community, but also to help the promotion of the product all
>> over Europe by reducing costs of production for brochures,
>> merchandising, gadgets and the like.
>>

> Since some of us are on most events around, you could even save some
> shipping costs and of course, there is one reason more to meet
> together ;-)
>

>>    While organising the first edition of the Italian PostgreSQL Day,
>> which day after day is getting the proportion of an European
>> conference rather than national, we faced a few problems: the lack of
>> promotional materials in Italian.
>>

> Tell me, what you need, i can try to organize it.
> It seems, that i will take over this job from Susanne and already know,
> that i have to reorder shirts (black, white) and elephants.

May be, we have to think about, how we will handle european
costs/donations and if there is an organisation handling such stuff for
europe. In germany we are member of the ffis, that is an organisation
that handle donation either for other projects like debian. So we don't
care about contribution receipts and other law stuff.

>>    One problem of shipping brochures, gadgets, etc. from the US is not
>> only delivery costs, but charges, taxes, and delays due to custom
>> checks. In some cases even loss of boxes.
>>

> Right after David will tell me a bit more about my last mail, i will go
> and ask a forwarding agency about all the paper stuff ;-) Or does
> anybody know a bit about shipping from EU to USA?

I know, that shipping stuff from USA to germany is horrible. A little
bit like shipping stuff to Switzerland. I don't know the other way. But
I think, it is simple to figure it out.

Susanne