Re: [pgsql-patches] Phantom Command IDs, updated patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [pgsql-patches] Phantom Command IDs, updated patch
Date
Re: [pgsql-patches] Phantom Command IDs, updated patch
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> I think the patch is ready. Please remove the PHANTOMCID_DEBUG define
>> and ifdef blocks before applying.
>
> BTW, I don't care much for the terminology "phantom cid" ... there's
> nothing particularly "phantom" about them, seeing they get onto disk.
> Can anyone think of a better name?  The best I can do offhand is
> "merged cid" or "cid pair", which aren't inspiring.

MultiCid, like the MultiXacts? Maybe not, they're quite different beasts...

Alias cid? Mapped cid? Compressed cid? Hero cid? :)

I'm happy with phantom cid myself. It sounds cool, and they are a bit
phantom-like because the true meaning of a phantom cid is lost when the
transaction ends.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas