Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Brian Hurt wrote:
> I'm having a spot of problem with out storage device vendor.  Read
> performance (as measured by both bonnie++ and hdparm -t) is abysmal
> (~14Mbyte/sec), and we're trying to get them to fix it.  Unfortunately,
> they're using the fact that bonnie++ is an open source benchmark to
> weasle out of doing anything- they can't fix it unless I can show an
> impact in Postgresql.
>
> So the question is: is there an easy to install and run, read-heavy
> benchmark out there that I can wave at them to get them to fix the
> problem?  I have a second database running on a single SATA drive, so I
> can use that as a comparison point- "look, we're getting 1/3rd the read
> speed of a single SATA drive- this sucks!"

You could use the lineitem table from the TPC-H dataset
(http://www.tpc.org/tpch/default.asp).

Generate the dataset for a scale factor that makes lineitem about 2x
your ram, load the table and do:

SELECT count(*) FROM lineitem

vmstat or iostat while this is happening should display your meager
throughput well enough to get your vendors attention (I'm checking this
on a fairly old 4 disk system of mine as I type this - I'm seeing about
90Mb/s...)

best wishes

Mark