Re: postgresql live-cd - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Koen Martens
Subject Re: postgresql live-cd
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I wish i had known this all, i would have never gotten in to this. I
put one of my employees on this, it has cost me money. Apparently,
there was no need for our effort afterall, so I basically wasted
money. Bit disappointed here. What a complete waste of time this has
been.

Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm announcing that I'm on the tailend of completing my own implementation of pg_live.  It's based on Ubuntu so it
hasfull installation capabilities if the user wants it.

> The full version weighs in around 720mb but that's going to drop after I have removed the language packages that
aren'trequired in an English only environment.

> There's a lot of documentation that I've added in added to the standard reference documentation. All of which is
accesiblethrough its own http webserver.

> Here's an excerpt of the iso's README file:
>
> ===============================
> FEATURES
> Pg_live is a sophisticated environment that runs a number of services on bootup and includes:
>
> - Apache, which is enabled with PHP
> - SSH server thus allowing secure logins from other workstations that are on the same network
> - PostgreSQL, version 8.1.4
> - pgpool, the PostgreSQL connection pool daemon
>
> The PostgreSQL server has been preconfigured with the following procedural languages:
>          plpgsql
>          plr
>          plperl
>          plperlu
>          plpythonu
>          pltcl
>          pltclu
>          plphp
>          plphpu
>
> The following interpretative programing languages are included:
>          perl
>          python
>          tcl
>          PHP
>
> OTHER
> - Postgresql contributions
> - SLONY (with lots of example scripts)
>
> POSTGRESQL CLIENTS AND UTILITIES
>         pgadmin3
>         phppgadmin
>         psql
>
> The console based web-browser, ELINKS, is ideal when running in "console only" mode. Thus permitting access to
otherwiseinaccesible GUI features such as pg_live's Apache PHP client, phppgadmin, and of course the included reference
documentation.