Re: in memory views - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Vatter
Subject Re: in memory views
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 15:54, Thomas Vatter wrote:

Yes, the difference between psql command line and application is 6
seconds to 40 seconds. It is
exactly the step resultSet = excecuteQuery() that needs 40 seconds. I
use next() as a cursor
through the resultSet, but I fear this is not enough, do I have to use
createStatement(resultSetType,
resultSetConcurrency) respectively prepareStatement (resultSetType,
resultSetConcurrency) to
achieve the cursor behaviour?
Not sure.  I don't use a lot of prepared statements.  I tend to build
queries and throw the at the database.  In that instance, it's done
like:

create cursor cursorname as select (rest of query here);
fetch from cursorname;

You can find more on cursors here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-declare.html

Not sure if you can use them with prepared statements, or if prepared
statements have their own kind of implementation.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Yes, I have used embedded sql and create cursor, fetch before I started with jdbc, seems that
I have to find out if new jdbc has a better way than simply resultSet = statement.executeQuery().

regards
tom