Re: invalidating cached plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: invalidating cached plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> "Neil Conway" <neilc@samurai.com> writes
>> PostgreSQL should invalidate a cached query plan when one of the objects
>> the plan depends upon is modified.

> It just comes into my mind that current cache invalidation implementation
> may need to consider the future query result cache.

There isn't likely ever to be a query result cache.  The idea has been
proposed before and rejected before: too much complexity and overhead
for too little prospective gain.  If you need such a thing it makes
more sense to do it on the application side and save a network round
trip.