Re: [pgsql-www] Help speeding up delete - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Help speeding up delete
Date
List pgsql-performance
>>That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they
>>can just grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their
>>old database, then upgrade easily.
>
> But if they're upgrading to 8.1, don't they already have the new
> pg_dump? How else are they going to dump their *new* database?

Erm.  Usually when you install the new package/port for 8.1, you cannot
have both new and old installed at the same time man.  Remember they
both store exactly the same binary files in exactly the same place.

>>In my experience not many pgsql admins have test servers or
>>the skills to build up test machines with the latest pg_dump,
>
> I don't, but I still dump with the latest version - works fine both on
> linux and windows for me...

So you're saying you DO have the skills to do it then...

>>etc.  (Seriously.) In fact, few realise at all that they
>>should use the 8.1 dumper.
>
> That most people don't know they should use the new one I understand
> though. But I don't see how this will help against that :-)

It'll make it easy...

Chris