Re: New Contrib Build? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: New Contrib Build?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>>What if we could build contrib modules through a build-time switch for
>>>PostgreSQL?   Like,
>>>

>>I honestly don't see that it buys a lot. (and the technical obstacle is
>>that there's a maintenance cost, if nothing else).
>>

>I'm with Andrew on this: what's the point?  We don't currently have
>any contrib modules that are noticeably harder to build than any others,
>and I don't see any coming over the horizon.

I'd buy it more with Jim Nasby's suggested --with-contrib option. Or
let's say --with-modules.

One nice side effect would be that this info would get into pg_config's
configure settings. That would also help to make the whole build more
replayable.

To be of any use I guess this should ensure that the specified modules
are built, installed and tested from the main makefile.

cheers

andrew