Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32.
Date
List pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>

>>>Oh.  Hmm ... wouldn't it be easier and safer to launch "psql <script"
>>>as a subprocess?
>>>

>>I'd say no. Executing processes from the installer environment can be a
>>headache (we've had enough problems with initdb already..). And you have
>>to go through all the weirdness with the commandline quoting etc on
>>win32... It's a lot easier to execute a SQL script line-by-line. Which
>>also lets us trap the errors easier etc.
>>

>I was about to mention trapping errors as being a likely weak spot of
>custom-script-execution code.  And have you duplicated psql's rather
>extensive logic for determining where SQL commands end?  I'll get a bit
>annoyed if you come back later and tell us not to use dollar quoting
>in contrib scripts, or something like that.
>
>However, the COPY->INSERT change alone is below my threshold of pain,
>so I won't complain too hard.  I just wanted to be sure you'd really
>thought about the implications of rolling your own script executor.

Not to mention someone putting a \ command in the install script. I
understand the difficulties, but ISTM that getting "psql -f scriptfile"
working could be a Good Thing (tm). OTOH, should the installer be
running the contrib install scripts, or should this be left as a job for
the administrator? Maybe we're trying to do too much.

cheers

andrew