Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> It's definitely creeping featurism ... but
> I can see the value of not needing any cron daemon to remove old logs.

No other logs on your system to purge?

> A potential problem is what about size-driven rotation?  If the hourly
> output exceeds log_rotation_size then you'd truncate and rewrite the
> current file, which is just exactly not what you want :-(.

Same can happen after logger process restart.

After all, I wonder what an apache style logfile name is good for. The
pgsql logfiles don't contain access log data that are analyzed by
webalizer or stuff like that. I don't see the point having any
formatting option at all.

Regards,
Andreas