Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yusuf
Subject Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.
Date
Re: Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
Re: Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-performance
I have discovered that I could optimize queries by adjusting the
following parameters such as enable_seqscan, enable_hashjoin,
enable_mergejoin and enable_nestloop.

Is it a good idea, to temporarily adjust those values before running a
query to spend up the execution time?  I've searched online and wasn't
able to find articles about it.

I need to speed up an enterprise application that I'm working on, and I
wouldn't want to screw things up.

My plan is for every query that could be optimized by adjusting
parameters: I'll enable parameters that'll speed it up, run the query,
then set the parameters back to their default values.

Thanks in advance.