Re: MySQL file system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: MySQL file system
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > So what is needed it to be able to mount a .zip or a .tar file as a file
> > > system with the loopback device. Mounting a database on the filesystem
> > > sounds pretty useless to me.

Which can be done with cramfs on Linux. Still could be a cute trick with PostgreSQL that could be somewhat handy from
timeto time.

<snip>

> > I'm sure there's a few points that I missed but there are some
> > advantages, Oracle does or did have a "raw disk" mode.
> >

> I think the conclusion we came up to in the past is that raw database
> access was important in the 80's with older file systems, but modern
> ones don't need raw access, and most database vendors are moving away
> from recommanding raw access.

I think this was a different sense of 'raw access' - it meant 'allow the user to see a database as if it were a
filesystem'if I read the post correctly. Not the same issue, I think.

--
Karl DeBisschop                      kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com
Learning Network/Information Please  http://www.infoplease.com