Postgres on NT - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Assefa Yewondwossen
Subject Postgres on NT
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi All,

 I have downloaded NT binaries and would like to start using postgres. I
have checked the tutorials but could not get started correctly.

 The tar files dowloaded do not have a postmaster executable (I do not
no if it is necessary on NT or it is just a on UNIX).

 I tried to start posgres.exe and I get the following message :

$ postgres
DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Thu Aug 24 10:12:16 2000
DEBUG:  Data Base System was interrupted being in production at Wed Aug
23 17:18
:25 2000
DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Thu Aug 24 10:12:16
2000
FATAL 1:  Version number in file 'd:\proj\pgsql\data/PG_VERSION' should
be 7.0
, not 7.0
.
FATAL 1:  Version number in file 'd:\proj\pgsql\data/PG_VERSION' should
be 7.0
, not 7.0
.
 I do not really understand why there is fatal error on the version
(seems to be the same).

When I tried other executables :

  $ psql
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or
        Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

 Any help would be really appreciated to get me started.

Thanks