Re: [PERFORM] OFFSET impact on Performance??? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Spiegelberg, Greg
Subject Re: [PERFORM] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date
List pgsql-sql
Isn't this a prime example of when to use a servlet or something similar
in function?  It will create the cursor, maintain it, and fetch against
it for a particular page.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 10:21 AM
To: Andrei Bintintan
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???

Andrei Bintintan wrote:
>> If you're using this to provide "pages" of results, could you use a
>> cursor?
>
> What do you mean by that? Cursor?
>
> Yes I'm using this to provide "pages", but If I jump to the last pages
> it goes very slow.

DECLARE mycursor CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM ...
FETCH FORWARD 10 IN mycursor;
CLOSE mycursor;

Repeated FETCHes would let you step through your results. That won't
work if you have a web-app making repeated connections.

If you've got a web-application then you'll probably want to insert the
results into a cache table for later use.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd