Re: pg 7.0.2-2 vacuum slowness / loop? (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg 7.0.2-2 vacuum slowness / loop? (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-general
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> forwards:
> I'm currently encountering problems using postgresql 7.0.2-2 on a potato
> system: PostgreSQL works fine, except that vacuuming seems to loop or take a
> /very/ long time.  I'm working on a dual PIII 500 Mhz machine with a
> database of approx. 1.5 million records in a single table. An attempt to
> vacuum the databases on this machine started on friday evening, and still
> hasn't finished.

That does seem like a long time.  Do you have a lot of indexes on this
table?  Might be worth dropping the indexes, vacuuming, rebuilding

Also, run the vacuum with VERBOSE so you can see how far it's getting.

            regards, tom lane