Re: Capacitors, etc., in hard drives and SSD for DBMS machines... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: Capacitors, etc., in hard drives and SSD for DBMS machines...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 7/8/2016 05:23, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Why all this concern about how long a disk (or SSD) drive can stay up
after a power failure?
Never had a power supply fail, have you?  Or (accidentally) pull the wrong cord? :)
It seems to me that anyone interested in maintaining an important
database would have suitable backup power on their entire systems,
including the disk drives, so they could coast over any power loss.

I do not have any database that important, but my machine has an APC
Smart-UPS that has 2 1/2 hours of backup time with relatively new
batteries in it. It is so oversize because my previous computer used
much more power than this one does. And if my power company has a brown
out or black out of over 7 seconds, my natural gas fueled backup
generator picks up the load very quickly.

Am I overlooking something?
Yep -- Murphy.  And he's a bastard.

--
Karl Denninger