Re: Version Numbering - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Version Numbering
Date
Re: Version Numbering  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: Version Numbering  (Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr>)
List pgsql-advocacy

> No. This would never fly. Postgres has a reputation of sensible
version
> numbering. I think it would have to be something more major to the
> underlying codebase than native Windows support before we jumped up
> to 8.0.

I disagree.

Most likely windows support will mean major rewrites of the code base,
for example there is discussion in hackers about switching from process
model to thread based model.

That being said, I think there is a lesson to be learned from Microsoft
and other successful software vendors.  Marketing concerns outweigh all
other concerns when trying to make decisions about things which are
visible to the outside world.  There is a very natural reasoning that
8.0 is the first version which was built to take over the database
world.

Do not underestimate how important windows compatibility is to the small
/medium business world.

Because postgres grew out of highly technical roots, technical concerns
stood behind most decisions like version #s and such things.  By this
point, the technical stuff is pretty much in line and its time to start
thinking like the big boys.  This probably will seem very distasteful to
the hacker types, but this is natural and even expected :)

For many commercial products there are probably two or even three sets
of version #s maintained for the product, one for the marketing folks,
one for the technical people (kept secret) and code revisions.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200212130903