Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do
Date
List pgsql-performance
femski <hypertree@yahoo.com> writes:
> If 17k record/sec is right around expected then I must say I am little
> disappointed from the "most advanced open source database".

Well, the software is certainly capable of much more than that;
for instance, on a not-too-new Dell x86_64 machine:

regression=# \timing
Timing is on.
regression=# create table t1(f1 int);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 3.614 ms
regression=# insert into t1 select * from generate_series(1,1000000);
INSERT 0 1000000
Time: 3433.483 ms

which works out to something a little shy of 300K rows/sec.  Of course
the main difference from what I think you're trying to do is the lack of
any per-row round trips to the client code.  But you need to look into
where the bottleneck is, not just assume it's insoluble.

            regards, tom lane