Re: PL/Perl embedding string common elements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PL/Perl embedding string common elements
Date
List pgsql-patches
Greg Sabino Mullane said:

>> The biggest problem is that "use" is in fact a forbidden operation in
>> trusted plperl.
>
> I would very much like to have use strict available in plperl.

You're not alone. That's why we're going through all this.

> Is there
> any way at all to simply make an exception for 'use strict' (and
> perhaps some other pragma) without going through more contortions? I
> can't imagine enabling it would in any way make it more "untrusted".

"use" even for pragmas in unfortunately a "require" op, which makes it quite
definitely unsafe.

There are just some things that we have to forego in trusted plperl. We have
worked around a couple of the biggest (strict, warnings, utf8) and can
handle others on a case by case basis. If you have a better way I'm all ears.

cheers

andrew