Re: Re: Problem with PITR recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From
Subject Re: Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Rob Butler <crodster2k@yahoo.com> wrote on 18.04.2005, 15:05:20:

> > I'd say it's very not cool :) It's not we all
> > expected from PITR.
> > I recall now Simon mentioned about that and have it
> > in his TODO.
> > Other thing I don't understand what's the problem to
> > generate WAL file
> > by demand ? Probably, TODO should says about this.
>
> This would definetly be a good feature to have.  What
> I would prefer is:
>
> 1) have the pitr stop command write out and close the
> WAL that it is currently using.
>
> 2) have another stored proc which can be invoked at
> any time that will write out and close the WAL that is
> currently in use when that command is executed.
>
> 3) have a feature in postgres that will automatically
> write out and close the WAL if the server hasn't had
> any activity in XX minutes, or hasn't closed a WAL
> file in XX minutes.

Yes, I have been working on a design.

1) is required to make PITR better for low transaction rate users.

3) is required to allow standby replication

2) is a standard feature on other DBMS, but I'd have to consider that as
optional.

Anyway, I'll post more in a few hours on this.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs