Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Benchmarks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Benchmarks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Personally I'd be a bunch happier if we set the buffers so high that we
> definitely have decent performance, and the people that want to run
> PostgreSQL are forced to make the choice of either:
>   1) Adjust their system settings to allow PostgreSQL to run properly, or
>   2) Manually adjust the PostgreSQL settings to run memory-constrained
> This way, PostgreSQL either runs decently, or they are _aware_ that
> they're limiting it.

Yeah, that is the subtext here.  If you can't increase SHMMAX then you
can always trim the postgresql.conf parameters --- but theoretically,
at least, you should then have a clue that you're running a
badly-configured setup ...