Re: Help: massive parallel update to the same table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
Subject Re: Help: massive parallel update to the same table
Date
List pgsql-performance

Eachclient only make update to its own row in the table. So far >I am only seeing one core out of eight cores on my
serverbeing active which tells me that the update is being done serial instead of being parallel. Do you know if there
isa way >for me to make these independent updates happen in parallel?

>Thank you, your help is very much appreciated!

If they are all happening on one core, you are probably using one DB connection to do the updates.  To split them
acrossmultiple cores, you need to use multiple DB connections.  Be careful if/when you restructure things to filter
theserequests into a reasonable number of backend DB connections - turning a huge number of clients loose against a DB
isnot going end well.

Brad.