Re: Is There Any Way .... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Peacetree
Subject Re: Is There Any Way ....
Date
List pgsql-performance
From: Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
Sent: Oct 5, 2005 2:16 AM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Is There Any Way ....

>First off, Mr. Trainor's response proves nothing about anyone or
>anything except Mr. Trainor.

Fair Enough.  I apologize for the inappropriately general statement.

>I'm going to offer an opinion on the caching topic.  I don't have
>any benchmarks; I'm offering a general sense of the issue based on
>decades of experience, so I'll give a short summary of that.
>
>I've been earning my living by working with computers since 1972,

~1978 for me.  So to many on this list, I also would be an "old fart".

<description of qualifications snipped>

I've pretty much spent my entire career thinking about and making
advances in RW distributed computing and parallel processing as
first a programmer and then a systems architect.

>Now on to the meat of it.
<excellent and fair handed overall analysis snipped>

I agree with your comments just about across the board.

I also agree with the poster(s) who noted that the "TLC factor" and the
2x every 18months pace of increasing HW performance and RAM capacity
make this stuff a moving target.

OTOH, there are some fundamentals that don't seem to change no
matter how far or fast the computing field evolves.

As usual, the proper answers involve finding a sometimes nontrivial
balance between building on known precedent and not being trapped
by doctrine.

Ron