Re: patch adding new regexp functions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch adding new regexp functions
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Jeremy Drake wrote:
>> # My experience with the array code leads me to believe that building
>> up an array is an expensive proposition.  I know I could code it
>> smarter so that the array is only constructed in the end.

> You can make any code arbitrarily fast if it doesn't have to give the
> right answer.

Even more to the point, it's folly to suppose that the overhead of
processing a SETOF result is less than that of array construction.

I tend to agree with Peter's concern that returning a set is going to
make it hard to track which result is which.

            regards, tom lane