Re: Interval->day proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Interval->day proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Unfortunately, it appears that tri-partitioning INTERVAL ( year/month ;
> week/day ; hour/minute/second ) is a violation of the SQL spec which has only
> the two partitions ( year/month ; week/day/hour/minute/second ).

I think it's an extension of the spec, not a violation.  In
particular, if you were working in a daylight-savings-less timezone,
you could not tell the difference (could you?)  The spec's worldview
essentially corresponds to daylight-savings-less all the time, and
so they are already a subset of what we do.