Re: psql patch: new host/port without leaving session - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql patch: new host/port without leaving session
Date
Re: psql patch: new host/port without leaving session  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-patches
Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttnet.net.tr> writes:
> On Apr 01 07:07, Neil Conway wrote:
>> One question about behavior: in the attached patch, omitting an argument
>> to \connect or specifying "-" are treated equivalently -- the value for
>> that parameter from the previous connection is used, otherwise NULL (for
>> the libpq default). Is this what people want? (One possible complaint is
>> that once you specify a parameter, you can't get back to the libpq
>> default without specifying it explicitly.)

> Won't it be better if we distinguish between "default" and "current"
> value of a parameter with '-' (for the "current") and '+' (for the
> "default") characters? For example:

That seems like a frammish without sufficient use-case.  You can always
quit and restart psql to get back to the defaults.

            regards, tom lane