Re: ADD/DROPS INHERIT (actually INHERIT / NO INHERIT) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ADD/DROPS INHERIT (actually INHERIT / NO INHERIT)
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jeremy Drake <pgsql-patches@jdrake.com> writes:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Nah, it was a false alarm: I was looking at the first post-patch report,
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=mongoose&dt=2006-07-02%2003:30:01
>> but apparently mongoose had managed to pick up a partially-updated
>> snapshot.  The later reports (including mongoose's own next try an
>> hour later) were all OK.

> As the keeper of mongoose, is there anything I should do to prevent it
> from picking up a partially-updated snapshot?  Or is this just a race
> condition that's bound to happen now and then?

Well, it's certainly not *your* problem to fix.  I suspect that this
risk is inherent in CVS --- although there might also be something
involved about our primary-vs-mirror CVS setup.  Does anyone know
exactly how the mirroring is done and whether it makes any attempt to
ensure a consistent copy?

            regards, tom lane