Re: Does "correlation" mislead the optimizer on large - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Does "correlation" mislead the optimizer on large
Date
Re: Does "correlation" mislead the optimizer on large  (Ron Mayer <ron@intervideo.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Ron Mayer <ron@intervideo.com> writes:
> A proposal.... (yes I I'm volunteering if people point me in the right
> direction)... would be to have a "plugable" set of analyze functions so that a
> huge database that runs analyze infrequently could choose to have a very slow
> analyze that might work better for it's data.

I do not think ANALYZE is the problem here; at least, it's premature to
worry about that end of things until you've defined (a) what's to be
stored in pg_statistic, and (b) what computation the planner needs to
make to derive a cost estimate given the stats.

            regards, tom lane