Re: Patch to be verbose about being unable to read ~/.pgpasss... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch to be verbose about being unable to read ~/.pgpasss...
Date
List pgsql-patches
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
> Would you like me to add an interface that'd allow stderr to be
> redirected in the case of defaultNoticeProcessor()?

No, the application is supposed to set a notice processor if it doesn't
want stuff going to stderr.  I don't think that stuff needs to be
redesigned.

> We can stat a file that is owned by root and not readable to the user.
> In such a case, because the user isn't able to read the file, all
> libpq applications will fail making it effectively possible for the
> system admin to shut off all applications that use libpq.

Hardly, since the user can simply remove or rename the file.  It's in
his home directory, remember?  (If he can't write his home directory
then whether libpq works is the least of his troubles.)

            regards, tom lane